Embody the posture, experience zen
How we sit greatly affects the quality of our meditation. The meditative state can be seen a reflection of how we hold our body. In the following 2 exercises, you will learn the inner and outer posture of meditation.
Note : The instructions are meant to facilitate your practice, not to enforce an “ideal form”. Don’t push yourself or force a particular outcome. Listen to your body and build the posture from the inside out.
Zen in body, mind and awareness
An overview of the 3 dimensions of the practice:
The outer posture consists of a few pointers to help establish a foundation and container for the experience:
- Stable foundation
- Hand mudra
- Open spine
- Melting tension
- Open chest and soft abdomen
The inner posture has to do with the way we hold our mind:
- Attention on the natural breath
- Follow the sense of releasing and sinking on each outbreath
- Allow the breath to settle in the lower abdomen (lower dantian / hara)
- When the mind wanders, gently return to the breath
The final aspect of the posture has to do with how we relate to our experience during meditation:
- Becoming the witness
- Relating to discomfort and distraction with firmness and kindness (“training the puppy”)
- Finding the middle point between chaos and rigidity
- Cultivating the meditative state
2 exercises to establish your meditation posture
Begin by listening to the first recording for a few days in a row:
Zen posture of meditation – Part 1:
Once your body and mind have become familiar with the posture, move on to the second exercise:
Zen posture of meditation – Part 2:
Once you have integrated all three dimensions of the posture, you can begin experimenting with sitting in silence. Simply put a timer and relax into your meditation.
Establish a daily routine; consistency is more important than length. Feel free to experiment with the duration, but don’t push yourself. It will not take long until you feel the effects . Once you taste the benefits of the practice, you will not want to skip a single sitting!
Enter the world of qi